Man charged over bomb at Londonderry police station
A 42-year-old man is due to appear at Londonderry Magistrates' Court charged with bombing a police station in the city earlier this month.
Police said the man would face a total of 12 charges including causing the explosion, possession of explosives, hijacking and false imprisonment.
The bomb, which exploded outside Strand Road police station on 3 August, was blamed on dissident republicans.
He is also charged with being a member of dissident group Oglaigh na hEireann.
A 54-year-old man is still being questioned about the attack. He was arrested on Monday and police were given permission to detain him for four days. On Thursday, they were given permission to hold him for four more.
During the incident, a taxi was hijacked and packed with 200lb of homemade explosives. The driver was ordered at gunpoint to leave the car at Strand Road police station.
Police were still clearing people from surrounding buildings, including a fast food takeaway, when the bomb detonated.
Oglaigh na hEireann claimed it was behind the attack, which badly damaged a number of businesses at about 0320 BST.
The device exploded earlier than the bombers had predicted in their warning to police and it was said to have been a miracle that no one was injured.
The charged man was arrested by the Police Service of Northern Ireland's Serious Crime branch.
Source: BBC Website
Release Date -
13 Aug 2010
« Back to News